Even though she didn’t know her father, he was out there somewhere.
That thought comforted Mary Powell as she grew up. Her mother refused to disclose many details about her father, other than he was in the Navy and stationed in Long Beach, Calif., in 1961.
A little more than a month ago, Powell submitted her DNA to be tested against others’ in an ancestry database. Her daughter-in-law bought her the $100 DNA kit as a gift.
When Powell learned her father’s name was Walter Arnold Sr., she searched the name on Google, hoping she’d find a face similar to hers. Instead, she learnedt Arnold had been murdered at his home in Victoria in 2008. Even worse, police hadn’t found his killer.
If you have any information about this or any other homicide case in Victoria County, call Victoria Crimestoppers at 361-572-4200 or the Victoria Police Department’s investigations unit at 361-485-3730.
If you want to share a story about a loved one who is a homicide victim, call the Victoria Advocate newsroom at 361-574-1222.
Click here to learn about the Texas Rangers’ cold case investigations.
A 6-year-old Victoria girl us es a gold cross she got from Our Lady of Sorrows to pray to her dead father.
Bethany Sanchez asked her mom to show her how to pray after her father was killed in 2015.
- Body of woman discovered near road (w/ video) (June 8, 2017)
- Daughter’s death leaves parents with painful questions (Nov. 5, 2016)
- Body discovered; police begin murder investigation (Sept. 28, 2016)
- Bloomington victim wanted to be police officer (Sept. 28, 2016)
- Family raises money for cold case (Jan. 23, 2016)
- Found dead in street, ‘White Girl Faye’ remembered fondly (March 14, 2015)
- Family of homicide victim searches for answers 10 years later (Oct. 21, 2013)
- Family seeks justice for murdered father (Dec. 3, 2011)
- Man dies after stabbing (Aug. 4, 2010)
- Roadside memorials offer solemn reminders to drivers, families (Aug. 20, 2016)
- Victoria authorities seek information about 2007 death (Jan. 19, 2015)
- Police identify man in fatal shooting (Oct. 6, 2015)